We're a fast-moving company that is laser-focused on transforming the insurance industry – making insurance placement easier and more accurate for everyone. At VirtualMGA, our team members enjoy the energy and the close-knit camaraderie of a start-up with the stability and strength of an established company with ten years of experience.
Our new hires benefit quickly from our open atmosphere and our knowledge sharing culture, and we do our very best to promote from within. In fact, almost 25% of our employees began in our intern training program and advanced to full-time positions. Join our team and make a quick impact on the industry.
Virtual MGA is searching for someone who can work in a wide range of functional and technical domains, and who can demonstrate prior success in full stack development, R&D and/or POC assignments. Primary role is core app development with web service integration. This is not a front end, web design position. Knowledge of both Java EE and PHP are critical, as are other skills required in typical LAMP and JEE environments. Working in a team environment, this developer will build full stack, high-volume, low-latency applications for critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance.
This senior developer MUST be able to build core Java and PHP components from scratch; it is not sufficient to just enhance existing components. The hired team member will be able to do work on all aspects independently and in collaboration with technical and business leadership.
This is a goal oriented environment, and is not a task driven environment. Full stack experience is critical. We are specifically looking for a Sr. developer who's used to making significant contributions to an entire ecosystem, not just one component or application.
- Agile and goal-oriented, comfortable working in small collaborative technical and cross-functional groups, to support aggressive business and technical objectives
- Proven ability to design and develop multi-tier web applications using core PHP, Java & OOP
- Experience with LINUX, Glassfish (or similar), NGINX, MySQL; Apache Tomcat, TomEE and Apache Web Server are all a plus
- Useful add on experiences include PHP, Java and MySQL performance engineering, a knowledge of MySQL technologies including MyISAM and InnoDB and partitioning thereof, as well as general DevOps experience, and familiarity with AWS and cloud computing
- Capable of designing and developing user interfaces for dynamic configuration of runtime business rules
- In addition to the emerging Java requirement, and ability to support legacy PHP applications is required
- 70% Java and PHP Development and support: Develop, integrate, and test complex enterprise applications using Java, J2EE, Web Services, JDBC, JSP, and XML on Glasshfish
- 30% Problem Solving: Working with other senior developers and an architect to critique and modify the system architecture and create solutions for technical problems that arise